Thursday, February 15, 2007

Give it a go!

There is this really great program here at the University of Sheffield called "Give it a go." They organize activities such as Irish dancing classes, self-defense, beer and wine tasting...things like that. They also have wonderful day and weekend trips that are really a great deal. They drive you, by bus, to wherever you are going and provide transportation between sites and home. If you are going to a place where you need an entrance fee, they also have that provided! It's such a good deal. I have already bought tickets for four Give it a go trips. This Saturday I am going to York and the Viking Festival there (they are having a Viking parade AND a battle! I can't wait!) Then, on Feb 24 I am going to Stonehenge and Bath. That should be amazing; while you can't walk right up to Stonehenge anymore it will still be cool to see, and Bath is supposed to be lovely and wonderful. On March 3, I am going to Stratford-upon-Avon for all you literary nerds like myself. Shakespeare mania has taken over the town, so I am expecting a tourist trap of sorts. That being said, ahhh I'm looking forward to it! At least there I will be one among many silly tourists instead of being the one stupid foreign girl. And then, finally, on March 18 I am going to Chatsworth House and Gardens. It is a beautiful old English manor, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. I read a book about Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire around the early 1800's, and she seemed like an amazing woman. Also, the recent film version of Pride and Prejudice used Chatsworth as Pemberley, and some literary historians believe it was the actual inspiration for it in the book as well. SO. I'm pretty excited.

Tomorrow is shopping/movie/dinner with Becca, Nicole, and our new British friends. I can't wait!

PS. I've realized that the clock setting is still on Chicago time. I am too lazy to change it, but please realize that I am 6 hours ahead of Chicago.

1 comment:

George Steinhardt said...

How about Irish self defense? Or rather self-offense?