Wednesday, March 28, 2007

On the hunt?

Why hello my friends!

I am now in Glasgow, home of Scottish industry, an amazing Cathedral and necropolis, and, of course, Belle & Sebastian. George and I arrived this morning after the easiest bus-catching of my life (we literally walked into the bus station, heard a fat Scottish man yell "Glasgow" and got on the bus) and have checked into our hostel, where we have to pay for TV but have our own bathroom. So. We shouldn't be watching TV anyways, although last night did provide us with the most hilarious show ever broadcast.

So you know Chippendales? The male strippers? You know people with physical disabilities, who are sometimes cruelly referred to as cripples?

Ladies and Gentleman, may I present the Crippendales.

Disabled men with the desire to be male strippers work towards their dream--and then it is broadcast on TV, nasty bits and all. Yes, that is right. Genitalia was on television. It was shocking and horrid and hilarious and the funniest thing on TV just about ever.

So far in Glasgow not much has been done; just a lot of walking and the Cathedral really. We had a really good lunch, and are walking to Glasgow University (former school of many B&S members!) and generally enjoying the FREEZING COLD WEATHER.

Oh! We went to Loch Ness yesterday. Nessie totally came and hung out with us. She's a cool prehistoric monster. She told me how she ended up in Loch Ness, but its kind of embarassing and she's shy, so I promised not to tell. I can tell you, however, that the Scottish Highlands are breathtaking. Sheer rock for miles and miles with heather everywhere and goats and tiny villages along perfectly still lochs. It was awe-inspiring. A ruin of a castle sits on Loch Ness and we were lucky enough to explore it before going out on the boat. It was really neat.

In food news: I finally ate a bagel. Apparently, the UK is bereft of bagels as well as Mexican food, but Glasgow has the good sense to have this shop called Bagel Mania. It's a chain, but who cares, its bagels. A wide variety too. Delicious. I told the girl at the till that I was really excited and hadn't had a bagel in over two months and she was like, ohhh okay and thought I was nuts. But really--two bagel-less months for a food obessive like myself is quite difficult.

Glasgow is charming. At first we thought it was a bit rough looking, but its not. It's lovely and sweet and makes me want to walk down the streets on a warm night wearing dresses with my best friends, laughing til our sides hurt. Maybe some other time.


Love,
Meagan

3 comments:

Dana said...

i dunno if i've already mentioned this or not, but japan is also mexican food-less.
lucky for me korea had a DELICIOUS mexican restaurant, which i went to TWICE and now i am full of burritos and quesidillas.
but. i am now back in japan for 4 months, and the best i got is to make my own.
chipotle run when i return??

Dan said...

Your description of Loch Ness sounds wonderful. I've wanted to go to Scotland for about a month and a half now, and perhaps now I'll actually get the resolve to go and do it.
For the Aran Islands, we only went to Inish Mor, the largest of the three. There's a bus from Galway (we stayed at the Sleepzone hostel, which is a really nice place), then a ferry out to the island - €25 total. You can rent bikes for €20 apiece (of which 10 Euro is a deposit you get back when the bike is returned). I'd highly recommend this too, if you're feeling up for a ride. The western half of the island is hilly and can be a challenge to bike up, but it's worth it to see a lighthouse and to get about 4 minutes of pedal-free speeding down the hill. I don't think I would have had half as good of a time had I taken a bus tour of the island.
We biked out to Dun Aengus (or some similar spelling), an old fort right on the cliffs that's well worth a visit. You can go right up to the edge. Seals supposedly nest on the island too, though we didn't see them.
There's also a few B&Bs on Inis Mor, in case you wanted to stay longer and visit the other two islands.
In summary, yay biking.

Jacob said...

And that's why you should always watch "The Full Monty" before going to England.