Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Tea without milk? Fascinating.

The event I NEVER thought would happen happened:

British kids asked me to join them in a post-class hangout.


I keep hearing all these stories of Brits going to the pub after class, in between class, during a 15 minute break from class-- but have never seen it or been invited along. I assumed this was due to my crippling shyness, which generally has me leaving seminar with the pod firmly planted in my ears and my feet beating the long path back to Taptonville. Today was my last Early American Lit seminar (what a joke) and afterwards a bunch of kids decided to go to Interval, one of the cafe/bars at the union. And lo and behold they invited me along. I bet those kids, who will probably never think of it or me again, have no idea how excited I was for that to happen. I feel rather pathetic saying that, but it really made my day. It was really sweet of them. They are nice kids, and I wish we had done this at the beginning of the term instead of the end.

It also showed me, once again, that being shy is BAD NEW BEARS. Especially when in a foreign country.

Also: I finally got my Sheffield city library card, instead of just stealing books from my flatmates or using Becca's card. Hoorah. Liz is coming home tonight, releasing the garbage bags, garlic salt, and ipod speakers that have been locked in her room since Friday evening. We are all looking forward to it.

I leave for Ireland on Thursday evening (tomorrow) and am sure I will have strange stories to tell upon my return. Hopefully the literary pub crawl and biking around the Aran Islands will be fruitful.

Love,
Meagan

1 comment:

a sadoway said...

congrats about the pub times!
tea with milk is really good. i got addicted to it whilst in the uk. but i drank some tea without milk an hour ago..